Monday, December 4, 2017

From Death to Eternity with Her Savior


I felt rather awkward taking pictures at a funeral. But I asked my friend if it was okay, and she said yes. I’m so glad I did. It captures the sentiments of the day in a few quick snaps. 

Jorge and Claudio at the cemetery
As we process Julia’s passing from earth to heaven on November 28th to be with her Jesus, the emotions seem rather jumbled. Even though many people feel it’s good for the heeling, I did not want to see Julia’s body after her death. I want my memories of her to be her beautiful full face, not the skeleton she had become. We are imagining her new life with a new perfect body she’s enjoying as she worships at the feet of Jesus. So when the sadness sets in, as it often does, this is what we dwell on. 

Less than twenty-four hours after Julia’s death, Jorge had a memorial service with the people he and Julia have been ministering to for the past three years in the little space upstairs. What Britt and I noticed the most was not just that Jorge couldn’t keep still, but that he was absolutely fascinating to watch worship. It was like it was just he and God in the room together. I took a partial video of it, though I’m not sure that it truly captures the gravity of the night. 


As humans, our tendency is to expect answers to why. Why did God let her die? Why was it Julia? Why do two small children have to lose their mommy? Why does a devoted husband to the very end have to lose his beloved wife? What is the point to all this? I’ve had plenty of time to dwell on these questions over the past three months since we’ve known Julia’s cancer was terminal. God has used many things, not to answer these questions, but to assure me that it’s okay if we don’t know the answers.  I do hope we see some answers during our lifetime. But if we don’t, it’s okay. I’ve been reminded that God is in control, he has a purpose for everything, and it’s all to bring him glory. This life is not about us. It’s about Him. That doesn’t diminish our purpose in life, but rather gives it more significance. 
There will be many hard days ahead for all of us…mostly Jorge and his kids. I hope we can all learn from Jorge’s example of true worship undeterred by the loss of his earthly love. May many lives be turned to Christ through his example. 

 
where they placed Julia’s casket
the cement guy bricked it all up while we watched

No comments:

Post a Comment