Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Chemo and Baby #8

Today is the day I've been dreading. Well, it was last Monday too. But Julia's kids got sick. Then it was Thursday, but she got what her kids had. So her first chemo treatment starts today. 

I love her faith. Her positive attitude. Her trust. Oh, I'm sure she's battled with her emotions. She's wavered. But she has a confidence and assurance I don't have. 

Don't get me wrong. I have confidence and assurance in knowing that God knows what he's doing. But I surely don't put any confidence in the medical system here. I'm so skeptical and untrusting. 

So today, Britt left around 4am to take Julia and Jorge to the city. In spite of the private cancer place where he took her for a second opinion being so personable and kind, going back to the national care was only logical. They basically had the same prognosis and treatment plan. But the cost will be considerably less. 

Ever since we've announced Julia's cancer, I've been bombarded with well meaning articles on alternatives to the chemo world. It's a topic Britt and I disagree on. I'd be the one using pot on my roof to avoid the nasty effects of chemo. It wouldn't be too difficult in this country. In the country where you can walk down the crowded streets of Antigua to hear some dude calling in a normal tone, "Marijuana. Have Marijuana." Or in the back of the Market where you can buy the plant or the oil. No big deal. The thing is, we don't know any alternative treatment cancer survivors. Do you know someone personally out there that has survived cancer without chemo? If so, I want to hear their story. 

On a lighter note, I only have two months left until we meet this 8th president of ours. We are really struggling with the whole name game. Seriously, there are only 44 president names to choose from, and we've already used seven of them...you know, the good sounding ones. If you have suggestions, we'll listen to them. Really. The girl name is the hardest. Although, I did see Harrison as a girl name the other day. I was quite startled by it. I also found out that my husband likes old names. 

Btw, many of you ask how I'm feeling these days. It's so kind of you to wonder. I had about a two plus month reprieve from nausea, feeling pretty good. Just tired. Really tired. Then over the weekend it hit again. I haven't thrown up yet. I'm nervous it would induce preterm labor. But the nausea has returned. I'm hoping it's just a few days of it here. Really hoping. I've never had it at the end before. This pregnancy has been so crazy. I don't know if it's due to my age or living in a different country. 

When you think about it, say a prayer for Julia. Her life will feel rather miserable for the next few months. I wish I could just make it all go away for her. Or that God would just choose to disintegrate that tumor now. 

8 comments:

  1. Think of you often and will continue to pray. Will pray specifically for your nausea this week and for Julia today. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of you often and will continue to pray. Will pray specifically for your nausea this week and for Julia today. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW..... Madison would be great girl name after James Madison. Or use First ladies name.... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Meg's name is Madison. See...we've used the good ones. 😄

      Delete
  4. BTW..... Madison would be great girl name after James Madison. Or use First ladies name.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will try to put Julia on the prayer chain each week, if I remember. Your family is also in our prayers, especially you. Praying that you have a safe delivery. BTW, I like Madison and Monroe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. McKinley for a boy and Jaqueline for a girl..love reading your blogs when I can..praying for your family..your pregnancy and Julia..

    ReplyDelete