Monday, December 31, 2018

All together for Christmas


But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart. (Luke 2:19) I felt a lot like I think Mary might have felt in the two weeks leading up to Christmas. Well, maybe a little. Obviously, none of my kids will save the world, though they each contemplate solutions in their own finite ways. 

I started praying long before December for all my children to be home together for Christmas.  It had been since August of 2017 that we’d all been together. I’m so thankful for modern technology that keeps us quickly in touch. Although, at times middle-of-nowhere-Wyoming and Guatemala leave much to be desired when it comes to a good reception. We’ve been able to stay up-to-date with each kid and to cultivate an ongoing relationship with them and Lincoln. He warmed up to them quickly. 

Some of my most treasured moments began at the airport. I had been in Indiana for a week and was able to return to Guatemala on the same flight with Kate. At the same time, Mickey and Clint were flying in from Wyoming through Denver. The plan was for the four of us to land near the same time so Britt could pick us all up at once. Amazingly, it worked, though Kate and I were literally running through the terminals in Houston so we wouldn’t miss our connecting flight. Though we both felt like death, it was most exhilarating! As soon as we landed in Guaté, we began searching for Clint and Mickey. We eventually found them in baggage claim. What a treasure that was. 

The next moment, but not so treasured was two days later we went to pick up Pierce at the airport. On the way home, we decided to stop for a sit-down meal. Our normal stop as a family is TGI Friday’s. But since it was overflowing, we decided to go to the mall across the street. We parked in the parking garage and decided to eat at a favorite steak house. We were seated around the table they arranged for a party of ten and noticed an empty seat. That’s when it hit us Reagan was missing. I tried not to panic. But I did. Cause I’m a mom. And all moms who’ve misplaced a child know this feeling. As it turned out, Reagan was in the trunk of the van with Pierce’s luggage. He waited for someone to get him out of the trunk. But when no one did, he started climbing to the front of the van. By the time he got out, we were long gone. So he went back to the van, which amazingly wasn’t locked and sat and waited. Smart kid. And cried. I shed a few tears myself. 

A fun memory was everyone asking us how our boys got so tall. 🤷🏻‍♀️ God made them that way. They have some relatives that are tall. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I fed them raw milk in their growing years.🤷🏻‍♀️

Some treasured moments were sitting around the dinner table having deep spiritual conversations. Watching big boys play with little boys. Especially Lincoln. Girl talks. Girls getting their hair and nails done. Having over our single girls to play games. Laughing. A. Lot. Sarcastic jargon. Watching Elf and howling with laughter at Lincoln watching. Boys wrestling and passing the football. Sitting together in church. Listening to more conversations about pickup trucks than I ever care to. Spending a few days together at the beach and all it’s wonderfulness. 

I’m so proud of all my kids. The way they interact. The way they adult well. The way they try loving people like we exemplify for them. We still have four left with us, which seems like a mini family. But I can already see their potential is great. The time has flown by. But I wouldn’t trade any of it. 

In my heart, I pondered, I dwelled on, and I treasured the very fast two weeks we shared together as a family of ten. I’m beyond thankful that God saw fit to orchestrate all the details of getting kids off work and on planes that safely and timely arrived home to be together. 

Love and blessings in the new year from the Guaté Harmans 

No comments:

Post a Comment